REPLACE Study: Experimental Riociguat for Pulmonary Arterial Hypertension (high blood pressure in the lungs and heart)
The study team wishes to collect information about pregnancies / births that occur while a father is taking Riociguat.
To demonstrate the effectiveness of riociguat as replacement of phosphodiesterase-5 inhibitors (PDE-5i) therapy in pulmonary arterial hypertension (PAH) patients
A Prospective, Randomized, International, Multicenter, Double-arm, Controlled, Open-label Study of Riociguat in Patients With Pulmonary Arterial Hypertension (PAH) Who Are on a Stable Dose of Phosphodiesterase-5 Inhibitors (PDE-5i) With or Without Endothelin Receptor Antagonist (ERA), But Not at Treatment Goal
Data from a previous single arm study (RESPITE) indicate that transition from PDE5i to riociguat may be feasible, safe and beneficial in patients not adequately responding to PDE5i.
REPLACE is a randomized controlled study to confirm the potential clinical benefit of transition from PDE5i to riociguat. Satisfactory clinical response in patients who are on a stable dose of phosphodiesterase-5inhibitors (PDE-5i) with or without endothelin receptor antagonist (ERA), but not at treatment goal will be compared between one group of patients randomized to maintain current treatment and another group where the PDE5i is replaced by riociguat.
Pulmonary Arterial Hypertension Familial Primary Pulmonary Hypertension Hypertension Sildenafil Citrate Tadalafil Riociguat Adempas (Riociguat, BAY63-2521) Sildenafil BAY63-2521
You can join if…
Open to people ages 18-75
- Male and female patients aged 18 to 75 years.
Patients with symptomatic PAH with a pulmonary vascular resistance (PVR) > 400 dynseccm-5, mean pulmonary artery pressure ≥ 25 mmHg, and pulmonary capillary wedge pressure (PCWP) ≤ 15 mmHg as assessed by the most recent right heart catheterization (RHC) from medical history prior to screening to confirm the diagnosis. Alternatively, PCWP can be replaced by left ventricular end-diastolic pressure (≤ 15 mmHg). PAH of the following types:
- Drug and toxin induced PAH
- Associated with PAH due to:
- Connective tissue disease (CTD)
- Congenital heart disease, but only if the patient underwent surgical repair more than one year before enrolment
- Portal hypertension with liver cirrhosis (Note: patients with clinical relevant hepatic dysfunction are excluded; see exclusions related to disorders in organ function)
- Patients who are on stable doses of a PDE-5i and ERA combination therapy or on stable PDE-5i monotherapy 6 weeks prior to and at randomization but not at treatment goal (tadalafil 20 to 40 mg once daily or sildenafil at least 60 mg daily dose).
- WHO FC III at screening and at randomization.
- 6MWD test between 165 m and 440 m at screening and at randomization.
- Stable dose of diuretics, if used, for at least 30 days prior to and at randomization.
- Patients who are able to understand and follow instructions and who are able to participate in the study for the entire study.
- Women of childbearing potential must agree to use adequate contraception when sexually active. Adequate contraception is defined as any combination of at least 2 effective methods of birth control, of which at least 1 is a physical barrier (e.g. condom with hormonal contraception like implants or combined oral contraceptives, condom with intrauterine devices). This applies beginning with signing of the informed consent form until 30 (+5) days after the last administration of study drug.
- Patients must have given their written informed consent to participate in the study after having received adequate previous information and prior to any study-specific procedures.
You CAN'T join if...
- Participation in another interventional clinical study within 30 days prior to screening.
- All types of PH (including PH-IIP) except subtypes of Dana Point Group I specified in the inclusion criteria.
- Previous treatment with riociguat.
- Pregnant women (i.e., positive serum ß-human-chorionic-gonadotropin test or other signs of pregnancy), or breast feeding women, or women with childbearing potential not using a combination of 2 effective contraception methods (as laid out in inclusion criterion) throughout the study.
- Patients with a medical disorder, condition, or history of such that would impair the patient's ability to participate or complete this study, in the opinion of the investigator.
- Relevant obstructive and restrictive or other lung diseases.
- Patients with underlying medical disorders with an anticipated life expectancy below 2 years (e.g., active cancer disease with localized and/or metastasized tumor mass).
- Cardiovascular exclusion criteria like left ventricular disease, coronary heart disease or stroke within previous 3 months.
- Patients with hypersensitivity to the investigational drug or any of the excipients.
- Patients unable to perform a valid 6MWD test (e.g., orthopedic disease, peripheral artery occlusive disease, which affects the patient's ability to walk). Note: Patients, who require walking aids, may be included if in the opinion of the investigator the walking distance is not impaired. Patients with a variance of more than 15% between the screening and the randomization (i.e., baseline) 6MWD test.
- Sacramento California 95817 United States
- Seattle Washington 98195 United States
Please contact me about this study
We will not share your information with anyone other than the team in charge of this study. Submitting your contact information does not obligate you to participate in research.
The study team should get back to you in a few business days.