A Study of Experimental Fenretinide (LAU-7b) for Cystic Fibrosis in Adults
An International Phase II, double-blind, randomized, placebo-controlled study to evaluate the safety and efficacy of LAU-7b administered once-daily for 6 months for the treatment of CF.
APPLAUD: A Double-Blind, Randomized, Placebo-Controlled, Phase II Study of the Efficacy and Safety of LAU-7b in the Treatment of Cystic Fibrosis in Adults
An International Phase II, double-blind, randomized, placebo-controlled study to evaluate the safety and efficacy of LAU-7b administered once-daily for 6 months for the treatment of CF. All patients will remain on their CF standard-of-care treatments over the trial duration.
The goal for the treatment with LAU-7b in CF is to preserve lung function by reducing the persistent inflammation in the lung and to improve its capacity to defend against resistant bacteria such as Pseudomonas aeruginosa.
The treatment regimen will consist of 6 consecutive "dosing cycles" of 21 days each, spaced by study drug-free periods of 7 days. A total of 136 eligible adult patients with CF will be randomized to receive 300 mg LAU-7b or placebo in a 1:1 ratio. The participation in the study will last about 7 months.
Cystic Fibrosis Inflammation Essential Fatty Acids Inflammation resolution Docosahexaenoic acid Lung function Fibrosis LAU-7b
You can join if…
Open to people ages 18 years and up
- Screening FEV1 between 40% and 100% predicted value for age, gender and height, in patients capable of properly performing the test;
- History of pulmonary exacerbation, defined as at least one (1) pulmonary exacerbation in the year prior to Screening which resulted in documented intravenous or Oral antibiotics;
- Patients are eligible independently of their history of pulmonary Pseudomonas aeruginosa (PsA) infection and their PsA status at screening;
- If taking Kalydeco® (ivacaftor), Orkambi® (ivacaftor/lumacaftor), Symdeko® (ivacaftor/tezacaftor) or other commercially available CFTR modulator products, patients must be taking it for a minimum of 3 months prior to screening if naïve to CFTR modulators and 1 month if switched from another CFTR modulator product and deemed to tolerate it;
- No change in CF and allowed systemic chronic therapy for a minimum of 5 weeks prior to randomization, of which 2 weeks minimum are prior to screening;
- Female patients of child bearing potential should be on highly effective contraceptive methods during the study;
- Male patients with spouse or partner of child bearing potential, or pregnant, are eligible if they use an appropriate method of contraception.
You CAN'T join if...
- Pregnancy: due to the potential teratogenic effects of retinoids, pregnant women are NOT eligible;
- Breast milk feeding by study patient is NOT allowed;
- Clinically abnormal renal function: serum creatinine > 132 μM (1.5 mg/dL);
- Clinically abnormal liver function: Total bilirubin >1.5 x ULN (in the absence of demonstrated Gilbert's syndrome), alanine aminotransferase (ALT) and/or aspartate aminotransferase (AST) > 2.5 x ULN;
- Patients with plasma retinol levels below 0.7 µM;
- Presence of nyctalopia or hemeralopia at enrolment, or any other serious retinal, ophthalmological condition;
- Presence of serious dermatological conditions at entry, including inflammatory or xerotic skin pathologies such as psoriasis or ichthyosis;
- Intake of chronic systemic steroids in the month prior to screening and during the study;
- History of acute infections (viral/bacterial/fungal) within 5 weeks prior to randomization, of which 2 weeks minimum are prior to screening, whether or not treated and resolved;
- Presence of infection with Burkholderia cepacia (including all species within the Burkholderia cepacia complex group, and Burkholderia gladioli) in the 12 months prior to screening;
- Patients with a confirmed diagnosis (as per the Cystic Fibrosis Foundation diagnostic criteria) of Allergic BronchoPulmonary Aspergillosis (ABPA) and actively being treated with corticosteroids and/or anti fungal agents.
- UC Davis Medical Center, Division of Pulmonary & Critical Care Medicine
accepting new patients
Sacramento California 95817 United States
- Children's Hospital Los Angeles
accepting new patients
Los Angeles California 90227 United States
Please contact me about this study
We will not share your information with anyone other than the team in charge of this study. Submitting your contact information does not obligate you to participate in research.
The study team should get back to you in a few business days.