A Study of In-Hospital Initiation of Dapagliflozin in Acute Heart Failure
Volunteer for research and contribute to discoveries that may improve health care for you, your family, and your community!
a study on Heart Failure Thrombolysis Heart Attack
- for people ages 18 years and up (full criteria)
- at Boston, Massachusetts
- study startedestimated completion
This is an international, multicenter, parallel-group, randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled trial in patients who have been stabilized during hospitalization for acute heart failure, evaluating the effect of in-hospital initiation of dapagliflozin versus placebo on the clinical outcome of cardiovascular death or worsening heart failure.
A Multicenter, Randomized, Double-Blind, Parallel Group, Placebo-Controlled Trial to Evaluate the Effect of In-Hospital Initiation of Dapagliflozin on Clinical Outcomes in Patients Who Have Been Stabilized During Hospitalization for Acute Heart Failure DAPAgliflozin and Effect on Cardiovascular Events in ACuTe Heart Failure -Thrombolysis in Myocardial Infarction 68 (DAPA ACT HF-TIMI 68)
Acute Heart Failure, Heart Failure, Myocardial Infarction, Infarction, Dapagliflozin
You can join if…
Open to people ages 18 years and up
- Age ≥18 years (male or female)
- Currently hospitalized for AHF defined as meeting all the following criteria:
- Presentation with worsening symptoms of heart failure (e.g., worsening dyspnea or dyspnea at rest, progressive fatigue, rapid weight gain, worsening edema/abdominal distention/anasarca)
- Objective signs or diagnostic testing consistent with volume overload (e.g., jugular venous distension, pulmonary basilar crackles, S3 gallop, ascites, hepatomegaly, peripheral edema, radiological evidence of pulmonary congestion, noninvasive or invasive hemodynamic evidence of elevated filling pressures)
- Intensification of AHF therapy during admission defined as at least one of the following:
- Augmentation of oral diuretic therapy [e.g., ≥2x outpatient regimen dose, addition of a second diuretic agent, or new initiation of diuretic therapy in a previously naïve patient] ii. Initiation of intravenous diuretic therapy iii. Initiation of intravenous vasoactive agent (e.g., inotrope or vasodilator)
The majority of enrolled patients should have an established history of heart failure (defined as present for ≥2 months and for which the patient is on treatment). Trial leadership will monitor this proportion and may cap enrollment of patients without an established history of heart failure (i.e., patients presenting with de novo heart failure).
- Left ventricular ejection fraction (LVEF) measured within the past 12 months (including during the current hospitalization)
- Elevated NT-proBNP or BNP during current hospitalization:
- For patients with LVEF ≤40%: NT-proBNP ≥1600 pg/mL or BNP ≥400 pg/mL (NT-proBNP ≥2400 pg/mL or BNP ≥600 pg/mL if patient in atrial fibrillation or atrial flutter)
- For patients with LVEF >40%: NT-proBNP ≥1200 pg/mL or BNP ≥300 pg/mL (NT-proBNP ≥1800 pg/mL or BNP ≥450 pg/mL if patient in atrial fibrillation or atrial flutter)
- Eligible patients will be randomized no earlier than 24 hours and up to 14 days after presentation while still hospitalized once they have been stabilized, as defined by:
- No increase (i.e., intensification) in the dose of intravenous diuretics during the 12 hours prior to randomization
No use of intravenous vasodilators or inotropes during the 24 hours prior to randomization
Patients across the spectrum of LVEF are eligible for participation in the trial. Trial leadership will monitor the proportion of patients with various LVEFs and may cap enrollment of certain subgroups to ensure a broad population.
In addition, patients with and without type 2 diabetes are eligible for participation in the trial. Trial leadership will monitor the proportion of patients with and without type 2 diabetes and may cap enrollment of one subgroup to ensure adequate representation of the other.
You CAN'T join if...
- Symptomatic hypotension in the past 24 hours
- Concurrent use of two or more intravenous inotropic agents during the index hospitalization
- eGFR <25 ml/min/1.73 m2 as measured by the CKD-EPI equation at screening or rapidly progressive renal disease
- Current use of an SGLT2 inhibitor
- Prior intolerance of SGLT2 inhibitors
- Type 1 diabetes mellitus or history of diabetic ketoacidosis
- (Only applies to patients with T2DM who are on insulin and/or a sulfonylurea) History of recurrent major hypoglycemia (i.e., resulting in severe impairment in consciousness or behavior, or requiring emergency external assistance)
- Implantation of a cardiac resynchronization therapy (CRT) device or valve repair or replacement within 30 days prior to randomization or intent to do so during the trial
ST-segment elevation myocardial infarction or coronary revascularization (percutaneous coronary intervention or coronary artery bypass grafting) within 30 days prior to randomization or intent to undergo coronary revascularization during the trial
10. Untreated sustained ventricular arrhythmias or Mobitz type II or third-degree heart
block (i.e., without an ICD or pacemaker, respectively)
11. History of heart transplantation or current transplant listing; mechanical circulatory
support use (either durable or temporary) during the index hospitalization
12. History of heart failure due to restrictive or infiltrative cardiomyopathy, active
myocarditis, constrictive pericarditis, hypertrophic (obstructive) cardiomyopathy, uncorrected primary valvular disease, complex congenital heart disease, or heart failure felt to be due to a transient process (e.g., stress [takotsubo] cardiomyopathy, tachycardia-induced cardiomyopathy) expected to resolve within 2 months.
13. History of end-stage liver disease 14. Women of child-bearing potential (unless using adequate contraception) or currently
15. Current participation in a clinical trial with an unlicensed drug or device 16. Study staff or their family members 17. Any condition that, in the opinion of the investigator, would make trial participation
not in the best interest of the subject, or would compromise compliance with the trial protocol (e.g., active severe infection, active malignancy)
- TIMI Study Group
accepting new patients
Boston Massachusetts 02115 United States
- accepting new patients
- Start Date
- Completion Date
- The TIMI Study Group
- Sign up for this study
- Phase 4 research study
- Study Type
- Expecting 2400 study participants
- Last Updated
Please contact me about this study
We will not share your information with anyone other than the team in charge of this study. Submitting your contact information does not obligate you to participate in research.
The study team should get back to you in a few business days.